Friday, October 26, 2012

Spina Bifida Awareness Day 27 Dryden's Story


Dear Life,

Here is the story of Dryden Jacob.  He's an adorable brand new little man...he's only 2 1/2 months old.  

I found out on  May 21, 2012 when I was 28 weeks, 5 days

When we found out about the diagnosis,
I think I cried for days.  I didn't answer my phone... I didn't talk to anyone.  I was so angry.  Of all emotions to feel... anger.  How could this be happening?!  I did EVERYTHING right!!!  But there it was.  We didn't talk about it.  Neither of us really knew what to say.  Added to the fact that we both had stopped listening at some point, so neither of us could quite remember everything the doctor said.  Something about how he would be "slow" and that he would never walk.  We were a WRECK. 
Dryden is so strong. I sat back yesterday and went through all of the photos from the hospital. Although it was less than three months ago, it feels like a lifetime now. I know things are going to be difficult, and that there are times that we are not going to know what to do. I dread other kids making fun of him, and him realizing he is different from others... but I wouldn't trade him for the world!! He is perfect just the way he is and he has brought so many people together.
They told us in the hospital that Dryden would not be able to move his legs... he both extends and retracts both legs... TAKE THAT!!
It may seem like your world has ended, and life will never be the same - but having a kid with Spina Bifida is only the beginning to a bigger, brighter world... and your life WILL change ... in ways you cannot even imagine. 








No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear my readers comments...please take the time to tell me what you think!