Saturday, September 27, 2014

Hope

Dear Life,

When I met Sofi a year ago, I was so sad to see how very tiny she was. I didn't know at the time, but she only weighed 20 pounds at 4 years old. When I held her, she was so stiff, and she would arch her back because she was unused to someone holding her.  I didn't see any of that, I just saw her beautiful brown eyes and gorgeous smile. These pictures were from my visit. I wasn't allowed to share her face then. But look at her tiny fingers. 




I really had no idea what to expect when we brought her home. I knew that I fell in love even before that visit. That was enough. 

When I brought her home, my husband and my boys fell under her spell. They adored her. 


She was so fair, and so tiny. She didn't reach for anything, she really didn't do much. Oh but her smile lit up my world. This photo by Chelsea Abinante Photography shows a brand  new to America Sofi. She wouldn't even look at the camera. 


Isn't my family beautiful? I love them all so much. This photo is a few months later courtesy of Pics by Presley. She's smiling even more but still quite the photography challenge. 

Over the summer, Joanna Penney took this photo of her. A much more aware face.  She is so beautiful. We love her so. 

 
This was last weekend prior to the  surgery to place a Gtube in. She's looking at me and laughing.  She was playing with the hanging toy. She is now engaged in life around her. 



 This was from today. A day out of the hospital and already living it up at the beach. And already, both Stuart and I can tell a profound change in her. She has been tolerating her feeds, eating per mouth three times a day and has a GTube feeding 4 times a day. She is FULL. She is happy. She tracks with her eyes better. She has a lightness about her.  She holds her head up
more. It's amazing. 

I didn't want surgery for her, but thankful that this was available for her and it's helping her. Thankful for the team at CHOC Children's that have really been an amazing advocate for her and have kept her history at the forefront of their minds as they map out her health care. 

I think back, at the sweet little angel who didn't even have the strength or knowledge to raise her hands to play with toys much less hold up her head, and am SO grateful, eternally grateful for each and every one of you.  Children like her are really considered worthless in her country. Their lives are a burden to the community. They aren't given enough food to sustain themselves and sometimes they are stuck in deplorable conditions. Because we were crazy, we saw a future for one of these children, and we went out on a limb, Sofi now has a family. Because of all of you we are watching our daughter bloom right before our eyes. I can't wait to see what she will become. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear my readers comments...please take the time to tell me what you think!