Thursday, December 13, 2012

How Christmas has been changed for me

Dear Life,

Christmas has been changed forever for me.   Why you ask?  It's simple.  BS and AS.  (Don't worry...it's not as bad as it sounds)

Before Sofi

I LOVED to buy gifts for everyone....I loved to try to be that person that got the perfect gift and make people so happy. 
I LOVED to see the presents spilling out from under the tree far past the tree skirt.
I LOVED to GET gifts...there have been a few years recently that my husband and I did not exchange because we couldn't.  I HATED it.  It made me grumpy that I didn't have anything under the tree.  Like I was the kid or something.  

Then something happened.  I met Sofi.  (sort of)

After Sofi

I realized that this little girl belonged to our family and we would do whatever it would take to bring her here.

I realized that Christmas is not about what  material things you give, but who you spend your time with and how you spend that time.
I realized that eventually, my older boys will be gone, and memories made together  will last, whereas whatever toy or item they requested won't be remembered after a month.
I realized the importance of family, love, time, and memories.

And then I thought and pondered the story of the birth of Christ.  And found this question put out by President Monson: "In our day the spirit of giving gifts plays a large role in commemorating the Christmas season. I wonder if we might profit by asking ourselves, What gifts would the Lord have me give to Him or to others at this precious season of the year?"

This is the time to sacrifice, to see where I can help someone else, teach my kids to help others, and to work hard to bring our sweet Sofi home.  And in that, I know that our family will feel of the true meaning of Christmas.  Have I told you that no other family has requested information about Sofi before we came along?  I know I've told you that she is non verbal at the moment.  She is locked up in her own head.  I don't think that will always be the case.  But she needs to come home to get the proper medical treatment...and the love of  a family to support her and cheer her on. 

How can we help Sofi?  We have to raise our voices, share her story, and ask others to reach out and share what they can.  Some don't have money but are touched by Sofi's story.  Maybe those people have used shoes they can give us.  Maybe they live far away..and can't ship the shoes.  Just sharing Sofi's story, our journey, can help.  You never know who will be touched by our sweet girl.  Others can donate money....you can go to her YouCaring and give what you can.  You can send a check to Children's House International with Jensen Family Adoption in the notes.  You can also buy a raffle ticket to win a gorgeous diamond necklace created with Sofi's story in mind.   You can be her angel and help bring her home.

 Please contact me if you want to help us in any way.  We are praying for miracles.



 


2 comments :

  1. Beautiful Tracy!! Can I have your permission to hold a shoe drive for you and use your name?? Send me the details of when it ends, rules, etc... like when you get back. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear my readers comments...please take the time to tell me what you think!